I have to admit, when I first saw the original recipe for these cinnamon rolls, I was sure they would taste disgusting. I mean, “healthy”, “sugar free” and “vegan” aren’t the most appealing words for cinnamon rolls. I want to be as healthy as the next girl but when I want cinnamon rolls, i want CINNAMON ROLLS. But after a few tries I ended up with a panful of delicious cinnamon rolls that were still ~mostly~ healthy.
so here ya go:
4 cups flour
5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 Tbsp applesauce
1 cup water
6 Tbsp Stevia or stevia/sugar blend (sugar works too, but it won’t taste as sweet as the stevia)
non-stick cooking spray
For cinnamon sugar spread
7 Tbsp Stevia or stevia/sugar blend
3 tsp cinnamon
for the icing: (this is where the recipe isn’t healthy or vegan, but I think it tastes better with icing 😉 )
1 cup powdered sugar
approx. 5 tbsp water
1 tbsp butter
1. Preheat oven to 400 and spray pan of choice with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in large mixing bowl, and whisk.
3. Add remaining ingredients (not including cinnamon sugar spread ingredients) to the bowl, and stir until well-combined. Add a bit more water if necessary (only add a BIT (maybe a half tablespoon or two) or your dough will be way too sticky; i learned this the hard way 😉 )
4. Combine cinnamon sugar spread ingredients in a separate, small bowl, and set aside.
5. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a rectangle on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thick.
6. Lightly spray the rectangle of dough with non-stick cooking spray. (spray on more if cinnamon sugar mixture isn’t sticking)
7. Spread cinnamon sugar mix evenly over dough.
8. Roll the dough from the longer side of the rectangle to form a log
9. Use a wet knife to cut log into even cinnamon roll pieces.
10. Place cinnamon rolls in prepared cake pan, and bake for 12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
11. (Optional) mix together icing ingredients
12. Once cooled, use a spoon to top with the frosting or just eat them plain.
here is the link to the original recipe: healthy 30-minute cinnamon rolls